William C. Joern
- 180 North Stetson Avenue
- Suite 3400
- Chicago, Illinois 60601
- PH: 312.784.5465
- Download V-Card
- Print This Bio
William C. Joern is a partner with Hinkhouse Williams Walsh LLP.
Bill concentrates his practice on insurance coverage litigation.
Bill represents the interests of domestic and international insurers and reinsurers in connection with a wide range of liability coverage matters pending in state and federal courts across the country. He also regularly advises insurers on matters that are not in litigation. Most recently, Bill has focused his practice on complex environmental claims arising from manufactured gas plant operations, mining and milling operations, and petroleum refineries. Bill also has experience litigating complex asbestos claims, and he has represented insurers on emerging issues related to claims of loss due to climate change and coal combustion residuals from electric utilities.
During law school, Bill served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Justice Robert Cahill of the Illinois Appellate Court, First District. Bill was also recognized with various awards for his academic accomplishments, including an election into the Order of the Coif, a CALI award for legal writing and research, and the award of a teaching assistant position for the first-year legal writing and research courses.
Education, Admissions & Affiliations
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2008
- Tufts University, B.A., 2001
- Illinois State Bar, 2008
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois, 2008
Memberships & Affiliations
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Chicago Bar Association
Related News & Articles
Articles and Presentations
- Insurance Law Update: “Unsophisticated” Insured’s 11-Month Delay in Notifying Insurer Not Unreasonable as a Matter of Law, IDC Quarterly, Volume 20, No. 2, p. 20. (co-author) Goodwill Harboring: The Trademark Dilution Revision Act of 2006 Legitimates the Goodwill Investment in a Trademark While Safeguarding the First Amendment, 17 DePaul-LCA J. Art & Ent. L. & Pol’y 267.