Richard Hodyl represents insurers and reinsurers in complex and high-stakes insurance coverage litigation and arbitration and he has extensive coverage experience in matters involving construction defect, municipal liability and product liability. Rich also represents insurers and leading insurance industry trade groups before state and federal administrative, regulatory and legislative bodies. Rich has appeared as lead amicus counsel on behalf of national insurance trade organizations in over 30 appeals in state and federal courts across the country and before the Supreme Court of the United States. In addition, Rich has extensive experience assisting clients in drafting policy language and endorsements. He has authored numerous scholarly articles and is a frequent speaker at seminars and conferences across the country on insurance coverage issues. Rich has also taught underwriting, claims and management courses at the Insurance School of Chicago.
Rich is an elected and active member of the American Law Institute, which limits its membership to 4,250 lawyers, judges and law professors of the highest qualifications, and is the leading independent organization in the United States producing scholarly work to clarify, modernize and otherwise improve the law. Rich is rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™, the highest rating possible in the areas of legal experience and ethics. Rich has also been recognized as one of the top insurance litigation attorneys in Illinois by Super Lawyers® magazine.
Insurance and Reinsurance
Richard has an established record of securing favorable results for insurers in litigation, arbitration and administrative matters involving numerous standard form and manuscript insurance policies and endorsements. Representative results include:
- Lead coverage counsel representing insurer in coverage dispute and declaratory judgment action against insured developer arising from the alleged defective construction of a 16-story, 341,000-square-foot office tower with adjacent 30-story, 387,000-square-foot residential tower and retail space.
- Lead coverage counsel representing insurer in coverage dispute and declaratory judgment action against insured roofing subcontractor for claims arising from the alleged defective installation of a roofing system on a collegiate student center and library.
- Lead coverage counsel representing insurer in coverage dispute and declaratory judgment action against insured general contractor for claims arising from the alleged defective construction of a 3-story, 153 room hotel.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in arbitration of dispute with insured petroleum manufacturer regarding whether coverage existed under general liability policy for environmental investigation and remediation costs arising from the insured’s leaking petroleum storage tanks and pipes. The arbitration panel found in favor of the insurer, ruling there was no coverage under the policy and that coverage was not available under a limited pollution coverage endorsement attached to the policy.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in arbitration over whether coverage existed under municipal liability policy for civil rights claims asserted against nearly two dozen police officers employed by an insured municipality. The arbitration panel interpreted manuscript policy language in favor of the insurer and ruled that the insurer had no duty to defend.
- Obtained ruling in favor of insurer in arbitration involving multiple claims asserted against an insured municipal corporation alleging improper zoning and permitting practices. Arbitration panel ruled in favor of insurer and held that insurer had no duty to defend.
- Successfully defended insurer before the Illinois Department of Insurance against allegations that the insurer’s policy cancellation and non-renewal practices were unlawful. Obtained ruling that the insurer’s cancellation and non-renewal practices were in compliance with the Illinois Insurance Code.
- Successfully defended insurer in declaratory judgment lawsuit filed by insured firearm manufacturer seeking to recover defense costs for 30 pending product liability lawsuits. Judgment entered in insurer’s favor on the basis that products exclusions insurer’s general liability policies barred coverage for defense of these lawsuits.
- Defended insurer in declaratory judgment action against insured waste disposal company involving pollution claims arising at three landfills. Matter was ultimately settled on terms favorable to client.
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 1989
- Moot Executive Board
- Western Illinois University, B.B., 1986
- Member of the University Judicial Board Athletic Scholarship - Baseball
- Illinois State Bar, 1989
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals (4th, 7th, 8th and 11th Circuits)
- U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois
Memberships & Affiliations
- DuPage County Bar Association
- National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame
- Chicago Jefferson Awards
- American Law Institute