Phillip Beth is a partner with Hinkhouse Williams Walsh LLP.
Phil concentrates his practice in complex insurance coverage litigation and arbitration. He represents insurers and reinsurers in a wide range of coverage matters, including mass tort, product liability, class action, construction defect, environmental, healthcare, and professional liability claims. He also defends insurers in bad faith lawsuits.
Before entering private practice, Phil served as staff counsel for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the Republic of Palau.
- Obtained dismissal of coverage and bad faith claims against professional liability insurer. Sunshine v. Navigators Insurance Co., et al., Case 1:15-cv-01374-SEB-DML, Doc. #59 (S.D. Ind. 2016).
- Obtained dismissal of coverage lawsuit seeking defense and indemnity for underlying pollution claims. John Sexton Sand & Gravel Corp. v. National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, Pa., ___F.Supp.3d ___, 2015 WL 8536736 (E.D. Ill. 2015).
- Represented insurers in coverage litigation in various state and federal courts regarding underlying class actions involving allegedly defective plumbing products, window products, and other products.
- Obtained dismissal and Seventh Circuit affirmance of bad faith and related claims for insurer client in federal court in Indiana. G&S Holdings, L.L.C., et al. v. Continental Casualty Co., 697 F.3d 534 (7 th Cir. 2012).
- Represented insurers in coverage litigation in various state and federal courts regarding underlying construction defect claims.
- Obtained favorable settlement for insurer in spoliation and bad faith lawsuit in state and federal courts in Indiana.
- Successful defense of excess insurer in arbitration involving more than $250 million in alleged damage to coke oven batteries of steel manufacturer.
- Represented insurers in coverage litigation in Indiana state court concerning for various underlying environmental claims.
- Represented of insurer in bad faith action in Florida state court seeking more than $40 million in connection with high-profile multiple-fatality trucking accident.
- Obtained favorable settlement of litigation in federal court in Indiana involving trigger and allocation as to underlying injury and death claims involving exposure to coal tar pitch.
- Obtained favorable settlement of coverage litigation in New Jersey state court related to allegedly defective cement products.
- Obtained summary judgment and Tenth Circuit affirmance for insurer healthcare False Claims Act suit. Zurich Am. Ins. Co. v. O'Hara Reg'l Ctr. for Rehab., 529 F.3d 916 (10th Cir. 2008).
- Obtained summary judgment and Tenth Circuit affirmance for insurer concerning potential coverage for underlying medical malpractice wrongful death claim. American Cas. Co. v. Health Care Indem., 520 F.3d 1131 (10th Cir. 2008).
- Valparaiso University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1998
- Valparaiso University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1995
- Illinois State Bar, 1998
- Indiana State Bar, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit , 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2011
- U.S. District Court, W.D., Oklahoma , 2006
- U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois , 1998
- U.S. District Court, N.D. Indiana, 1998
- U.S. District Court, S.D. Indiana, 1998